Hey everyone, I hope you are having an amazing day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a distinctive dish, shepherd's pie. It is one of my favorites. This time, I will make it a bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Shepherd's Pie is one of the most favored of recent trending meals on earth. It’s appreciated by millions every day. It’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes yummy. Shepherd's Pie is something which I’ve loved my whole life. They’re nice and they look fantastic.
Delicious Lamb Recipes For The Perfect Meal. Get More Info At My Food and Family! Find The Recipe For What Your Craving From Our Variety Of Delicious Meals. Check Out Ground Beef Shepherds Pie On eBay.
To begin with this recipe, we have to prepare a few ingredients. You can cook shepherd's pie using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Shepherd's Pie:
- Take 1.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Prepare 1/4 cup half & half
- Prepare 2 tablespoons butter
- Get 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Take 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Make ready 1 egg yolk
- Get 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Make ready 1 small onion, diced (about one cup)
- Prepare 2-3 carrots, peeled, diced (1 cup)
- Prepare 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Prepare 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb (traditional) or ground beef
- Get 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Get 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Take 3 tablespoons flour
- Get 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Get 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Get 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- Take 1 tablespoon ea. Chopped fresh rosemary and thyme leaves
- Take Kernels cut from 2 ears corn (1 cup)
- Get 1 cup frozen peas
Although it is called a pie it doesn't use any pastry and is so cheap, quick and easy to make, you'll enjoy making it! Spread potatoes evenly over beef; using a fork, decorate potatoes with lines and peaks. In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned.
Instructions to make Shepherd's Pie:
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 35 seconds. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the half and half, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined. - - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a 12-inch saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the lamb, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly. - - Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Place on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.
In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd's pie is most often made with a ground-lamb filling.
So that is going to wrap it up with this special food shepherd's pie recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I’m confident you will make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!