Hello everybody, hope you’re having an amazing day today. Today, we’re going to prepare a distinctive dish, shepherds pie. It is one of my favorites. This time, I will make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to. Although it is called a pie it doesn't use any pastry and is so cheap, quick and easy to make, you'll enjoy making it!
Shepherds Pie is one of the most favored of current trending foods in the world. It’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes yummy. It’s appreciated by millions every day. Shepherds Pie is something that I’ve loved my entire life. They are nice and they look fantastic.
To begin with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few ingredients. You can have shepherds pie using 19 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Shepherds Pie:
- Take 600 grams Minced lamb
- Prepare 300 grams Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Make ready 300 grams Peeled and chopped carrots and turnip
- Make ready 30 grams Butter
- Get 1 dash Milk
- Prepare 1 Onion
- Make ready 1 clove Garlic
- Get 1 Sprig rosemary
- Prepare 1 pinch Salt and pepper
- Make ready Gravy
- Prepare 200 ml Lamb/beef stock
- Get 1 tbsp Tomato purée
- Get 1 Bay leaf
- Take 1 dash Olive oil
- Make ready 1 tsp (Heaped) plain flour
- Get 1 pinch Each Dried sage, rosemary, thyme
- Make ready Garnish
- Get 2 tbsp Grated mature cheddar
- Make ready 1 Tomato, sliced
In the States, people use ground beef, which is what we call. In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies).
Steps to make Shepherds Pie:
- Chop onion and garlic, place in pan with rosemary sprig, lamb mince and seasoning. Brown mince, drain the fat off and set aside.
- In a pan, boil the potatoes, carrot and turnip. When soft, turn off heat, drain water, add the butter and milk and mash together. Set the mash aside.
- Make the gravy. Make up the stock in a jug, add the dried herbs, bay leaf and the tomato purée and mix. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the flour and mix well. Gradually add the stock, stirring all the while until you have a nice gravy consistency.
- Now bring it all together. Place the mince in a casserole dish. Pour over the gravy. Spread the mash over the top making peaks with a fork. Sprinkle over the cheese (don't use a lot of cheese or it will overpower the pie), put a few tomato slices on top. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside.
So that’s going to wrap it up for this exceptional food shepherds pie recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I’m confident you can make this at home. There is gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!